Photo credit Marco Borggreve
Academic Qualifications:1979: BA (Hons.) in Music, York University (2:1) with Choral Scholarship to York Minster Choir, specialising in Composition (Wilfrid Mellers), Conducting (Graham Treacher), Organ (Peter Seymour), and Singing (Yvonne Seymour). Founder/conductor of the York University Motet Choir. Grade 8 Piano
1994-2012: First baritone with The King's Singers: • More than 2,000 live concert performances in countries spread over four continents
- Over 100 live and recorded radio and television broadcasts;
- 25 commercial CD and DVD recordings;
- 2009 Grammy Award winner for CD "Simple Gifts";
- 2010 MIDEM Award winner for "The King's Singers: Live at the BBC Proms" DVD
- 2012 Grammy Award winner for Eric Whitacre's Light and Gold CD. The King's Singers recorded the track "The Stolen Child".
1979-1993: Freelance soloist and consort singer
- Performed with many of the top ensembles of the day, including the BBC Singers, The Sixteen, The Taverner Choir, CM90;
- Deputised regularly for the choirs of Westminster Abbey, Westminster Cathedral and St. Paul's Cathedral. Lay Clerk at Southwark Cathedral.
2012-Present: Wells Cathedral Specialist Music School:
- Taught Vocal Studies at Wells Cathedral Specialist Music School since September 2012.
- Over 300 masterclasses and workshops conducted in schools and universities throughout the world, including at Notre Dame, Duke, and Michigan State universities in the USA
- Sustained a biennial teaching post as part of the Schleswig-Holstein Music Festival in Germany;
- Prince Consort Ensemble in Residence at the Royal College of Music;
- Directing all the school ensembles, choirs, orchestras and bands;
- Running the Music Department, including the hiring and firing of staff, administrative duties, strategy and co-ordination;
- Also taught Geography, Religious Studies, Science and coached sports.
Composing and Arranging
1997-2012: Principal arranger for The King's Singers:
- Over 50 arrangements published by Hal Leonard Corporation in the USA;
- 10 arrangements included on the 2009 Grammy Award-winning album, "Simple Gifts";
- Co-ordinator of The King's Singers Choral Series of publications in the USA, assisting with editing, proof-reading, royalties and copyright.
- Around 75 works published by Hal Leonard Corporation, Walton Music, Boosey and Hawkes, Morningstar Music, Alliance, Pavane Publishing, Lorenz, Banks Music, Encore Publications, Peters Edition and Schoolplay Productions.
2021-Present Day: Director of Music (joint with Andrew Mackay) - The Farrant Singers, Salisbury
2016-Present Day: Music Director- The Romsey Singers
2019: Music Director- Conductor - Illinois All-State Choir Peoria, Illinois, USA
2012-Present Day: clinician at various choral conducting seminars
- Including Galicia, Spain (2020, online), Natal, Brazil (2019), Dallas ACDA (2013), Arizona MEA (2013), Segovia, Spain (2012)
Business and Commercial
1994-2012: Director, KS Music Co. Ltd.; Director, IN Visible, Inc.
1995-2008: Managing Partner, The King's Singers:
- Acted as book-keeper for the Partnership;
- Controlled finance, investment and payroll;
- Liaised with accountants in USA and UK in preparation of annual accounts.
- Catalogued and archived over 3,000 musical titles, programme histories and performance details.
- New and second-hand music dealership, specialising in choral and organ music, sustaining trade accounts with all major UK publishing houses.