Photo credit Marco Borggreve
Academic Qualifications:1979: BA (Hons.) in Music, York University (2:1) with Choral Scholarship to York Minster Choir, specialising in Composition (Wilfrid Mellers), Organ (Peter Seymour), and Singing (Yvonne Seymour). Founder/conductor of the York University Motet Choir. Grade 8 Piano
1994-2012: First baritone with The King's Singers: • More than 2,000 live concert performances in countries spread over four continents
- Over 100 live and recorded radio and television broadcasts;
- 25 commercial CD and DVD recordings;
- 2009 Grammy Award winner for CD "Simple Gifts";
- 2010 MIDEM Award winner for "The King's Singers: Live at the BBC Proms" DVD
- 2012 Grammy Award winner for Eric Whitacre's Light and Gold CD. The King's Singers recorded the track "The Stolen Child".
1979-1993: Freelance soloist and consort singer
- Performed with many of the top ensembles of the day, including the BBC Singers, The Sixteen, The Taverner Choir, CM90;
- Deputised regularly for the choirs of Westminster Abbey, Westminster Cathedral and St. Paul's Cathedral. Lay Clerk at Southwark Cathedral.
2012-Present: Wells Cathedral Specialist Music School:
- Taught Vocal Studies at Wells Cathedral Specialist Music School since September 2012.
- Over 300 masterclasses and workshops conducted in schools and universities throughout the world, including at Notre Dame, Duke, and Michigan State universities in the USA
- Sustained a biennial teaching post as part of the Schleswig-Holstein Music Festival in Germany;
- Prince Consort Ensemble in Residence at the Royal College of Music;
- Directing all the school ensembles, choirs, orchestras and bands;
- Running the Music Department, including the hiring and firing of staff, administrative duties, strategy and co-ordination;
- Also taught Geography, Religious Studies, Science and coached sports.
Composing and Arranging
1997-2012: Principal arranger for The King's Singers:
- Over 50 arrangements published by Hal Leonard Corporation in the USA;
- 10 arrangements included on the 2009 Grammy Award-winning album, "Simple Gifts";
- Co-ordinator of The King's Singers Choral Series of publications in the USA, assisting with editing, proof-reading, royalties and copyright.
- Around 75 works published by Hal Leonard Corporation, Walton Music, Boosey and Hawkes, Morningstar Music, Alliance, Pavane Publishing, Lorenz, Banks Music, Encore Publications, Peters Edition and Schoolplay Productions.
Business and Commercial
1994-2012: Director, KS Music Co. Ltd.; Director, IN Visible, Inc.
1995-2008: Managing Partner, The King's Singers:
- Acted as book-keeper for the Partnership;
- Controlled finance, investment and payroll;
- Liaised with accountants in USA and UK in preparation of annual accounts.
- Catalogued and archived over 3,000 musical titles, programme histories and performance details.
- New and second-hand music dealership, specialising in choral and organ music, sustaining trade accounts with all major UK publishing houses.